Son of Samuel Croxall, rector of Hanworth in Middlesex, and Vicar of Walton upon Thames in Surrey; in the last of which places our author was born. He received his early education at Eton School, and from thence was admitted into St. John's College, Cambridge, after which he entered into holy orders. Having a strong attachment to the whig interest, he employed his pen in favour of that party during the latter end of queen Anne's reign. After he quitted the university, he was instituted to the living of Hampton in Middlesex, and then to the united parishes of St. Mary, Somerset, and St. Mary, Mounthaw, in the city of London, both which he held to his death. He was also chancellor, prebendary, canon residentiary, and portionist, of the church of Hereford; and in the year 1732 was made archdeacon of Salop, and chaplain in ordinary to the king. Dr. Croxall, who principally governed the church during the old age of the Bishop, pulled down an old stone building of which the Antiquary Society had made a print, and with the materials built part of a house for his brother Mr. Rodney Croxall. He obtained the living of Sellark, in Herefordshire, in February 1734; and died, at a very advanced age, Feb. 13, 1752.