Sir Charles Hanbury Williams was the second son of John Hanbury, Esq; a South Sea director. In 1735 he was chosen member for the county of Monmouth, and was re-elected in 1739, on being appointed paymaster of the marine regiments, and again at the general election of 1741. On the 20th of October, 1744, he was installed a Knight of the Bath, and 1746 appointed minister to the court of Berlin. He continued in that situation until the 9th of May, 1749, when he was named envoy extraordinary and plenipotentiary to the same court. In 1754 he represented the borough of Leominster, and about that time went ambassador to the court of Russia. He acquitted himself in his several employments abroad with considerable abilities; but falling into an ill state of health, he returned to England, and died the 2d of November, 1759.