Richard Jago, descended from a family of Cornish extraction, was the son of the Rev. Richard Jago, rector of Beaudesert in Warwickshire. He married Margaret, the daughter of William Parker, gent. of Henley in Arden, 1711, by whom he had several children. Richard, the third son, was born Oct. 1, 1715. He received a good classical education under the Rev. Mr. Crumpton, an excellent country school-master, at Solihull in Warwickshire; where he formed an acquaintance with several gentlemen who were his schoolfellows; among others with William Shenstone, esq. with whom he corresponded on the most friendly terms during life. From school he was entered of University college, Oxford; where he took his degree of M.A. July 9, 1738; having taken orders the year before, and served the curacy of Snitterfield, near Stratford-upon-Avon. In 1744, he married Dorothea-Susanna Fancourt, a daughter of the Rev. John Fancourt, rector of Kimcote; and for several years after his marriage resided at Harbury, to which vicarage he was instituted in 1746. At a small distance lay Chesterton, given him much about the same time, by Lord Willoughby de Broke; the two together amounting to about £100 a year. Before his removal from that place, he had the misfortune to lose his amiable companion, who died in 1751. In 1754, Lord Clare, afterward Earl Nugent, who had a great regard for him, by his interest with Dr. Madox, bishop of Worcester, procured him the vicarage of Snitterfield near Warwick, where he had formerly been curate, worth about £140 a year; whither he removed, and where he resided for the remainder of his life. In 1759, he married a second wife, Margaret, the daughter of James Underwood, esq. of Rudgely in Staffordshire, who survived him. Mr. Jago was presented, in 1771, by Lord Willoughby de Broke, to the rectory of Kimcote, then worth near £300 a year, and resigned the vicarage of Harbury. During the latter part of his life, as the infirmities of age came upon him, he seldom went from home. He amused himself at his leisure in improving the rectory-house, and ornamenting his grounds, which were agreeably situated, and had many natural beauties. Mr. Jago, in his person, was about the middle stature; in his manner, like most people of sensibility, he appeared reserved among strangers; amongst his friends he was free and easy; and his conversation sprightly and entertaining. In domestic life, he was the affectionate husband, the tender parent, the kind master, the hospitable neighbour, and sincere friend; and, both by his doctrine and example, a faithful minister of the parish over which he presided. After a short illness, he died May 8, 1781, aged 65; and was buried, according to his desire, in a vault which he had made for his family in Snitterfield church. He had children only by his first wife; three sons, who died before him, and four daughters.