Bp. Bagot was educated at Westminster School, and chosen thence student of Christ Church; M.A. May 23, 1764; and D.C.L. Feb. 29, 1772. In 1771 he was made canon of Christ Church, in the room of Dr. Morre Archbishop of Canterbury; and the same year, Oct. 7, he married Miss M. Hay, niece to the Earl of Kinnoul. He was installed Dean of Christ Church, Jan. 25, 1777, on the translation of Dr. Markham to the see of York; and about that time, it is believed, he resigned his livings in Sussex, in favour of his nephew, the Rev. Ralph Sneyd. In 1782 he was promoted to the see of Bristol; translated to Norwich the year following; and thence to St. Asaph in 1790; where he re-built the palace, on a plan which is uncommon, as it was necessary, he observed, to consult the nature of the situation; where, among the mountains, and in the vicinity of the sea, storms are often violent.