The daughter of an officer in the British Army, of the name of Campbell, was born about 1756, at Glasgow. While an infant she was carried to America by her father, who was stationed for a considerable time at a fort in the back settlements among the Mohawks. Having quitted the service he returned about 1768, with his wife and daughter to Scotland, and in 1773 obtained a kind of half military appointment at Fort Augustus, where Miss C. chiefly resided till 1779, when she married the Rev. Mr. Grant, minister of Laggan. By this gentleman, who died in 1801, she became the mother of a numerous family, and it was to procure the means of placing out her orphan children that she began to give the public the productions of her literary talents.