Oct. 11. At Clifton, whither he had gone for the benefit of his health, much regretted by a large circle of friends, the Rev. William Liddiard, M.A. late Rector of Knockmark, Meath, and for many years resident at Bath.
He was born at Rockley House, near Marlborough (built by his father), in the parish of Ogborn St. George, in July 1773, son of the Rev. William Stratton Liddiard and Jane his wife, sister of Lord Craven. He entered at University College, Oxford, in 1793, where he pursued his studies for two years, when he entered the army and attained the rank of Capt.; but, as he was always much devoted to books, and having gained considerable classical and theological knowledge, he again turned his mind to the clerical profession, and entered and graduated at Trin. Coll. Dublin, and was ordained by the Bp. of Kildare. On the recommendation of the Duke of Bedford, Mr. Liddiard was appointed Chaplain to Charles 4th Duke of Richmond, when Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, who preferred him to the rectory of Knockmark. He was twice married, first to Anna, daughter of the late Sir Henry Wilkinson; and afterwards to Mary-Ann, third daughter of the late John Tirel Morin, esq. of Weedon Lodge, Bucks. By his first marriage he had issue one son, to whom he some years ago resigned his living; and by his second marriage he has left one daughter. Mr. Liddiard was an admired and popular writer in prose and verse, and was remarkable for his taste and refinement as a scholar and a gentleman, and in addition to these accomplishments he was no mean artist and musician.
Amongst his various publications were The Life Boat; or Dillion O'Duire, a Poem, 1815. Mont St. Jean, a Poem, 1816. The Legend of Einsidlin, a Tale of Switzerland, with poetical Sketches of Swiss Scenery, l2mo. 1829. A Three Months' Tour in Switzerland and France, 8vo. 1832. Retrospection; or the Light of Days gone by, and other Poems, 12mo. 1840.