Pope purchased an estate at Twickenham, in the year 1715, and resided there the remainder of his life. Within the walls of the same villa that had witnessed his rise in literary fame, he died, on the 30th of May, 1744.
The house was not large, but sufficiently commodious for the wants of an English gentleman, whose friends visited himself rather than his dwelling, and who were superior to the necessity of stately ceremonials. Here, Pope wrote most of his Letters and Poems which have communicated to English versification so great a portion of its harmony. In the sequestered shade of this retirement, "near Thames' translucent wave," he entertained Swift, Gay, Lord Bolingbroke, and other bright spirits of the age, who
—mingled, with the friendly bowl,
The feast of reason and the flow of soul.
After the death of Pope, this interesting spot was sold to Sir William Stanhope, and, subsequently, was in the possession of Lord Mendip, who carefully preserved every vestige connected with a residence so celebrated. In the year 1807, the premises were purchased by the Baroness Howe; and we regret to state, that this lady has caused the house in which the Poet lived, to be entirely taken down. A new dwelling, preferable, in the esteem of her Ladyship, (chiefly, we suppose, because it is new,) has been erected, about one hundred yards from the site of Pope's House.